Sunday, August 14, 2016

How the Long Con killed the Tea Party

I've linked to Rick Perlstein's fantastic article The Long Con in a previous post. Anyone who seeks to understand American politics and especially the conservative movement in the late twentieth / early twenty-first century ought to read it. The article describes how the conservative movement is deeply entwined with grifters: people who seek to exploit the ignorance and passion of the conservative base to make a buck.

I mention it because I want to highlight an article I came across today in Politico: How We Killed the Tea Party. The article is written by a lawyer who worked for a conservative political action committee, and he describes how these organizations bilked Tea Party voters out of millions of dollars. I don't have anything to add, I just thought that the article was interesting. It turns out the Long Con is alive and well!

No comments: